Heroes Guild Online

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting Gamers & Intellectual Hobbyists Throughout Maryland

4 posters

unpainted minis

Rocktopotomus
    Rocktopotomus
    Level 2 Poster

The Waste Character
    Name: Feyodr-Har
    Race: Changeling
    Class: Sorcerer

unpainted minis Empty unpainted minis

Post by Rocktopotomus 2010-05-17, 09:19

I am looking to find some fantasy/d&d minis that come unpainted. What does everyone else use?

I thought about Warhammer fantasy but I don't know if they have models which would work for all classes (rogue, druid, etc).

Alternatively does wizards ever sell their d&d minis not in random packs? I don't want to have to buy more packs over and over again just trying to find one model.
    j-smuv
    j-smuv
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Ordesso Badatu
    Race: Minotaur
    Class: Fighter

unpainted minis Empty Re: unpainted minis

Post by j-smuv 2010-05-18, 10:51

Some game stores sell the individual D&D minis according to their rarity. I’m not sure about around Baltimore, but I’ll keep an eye out for you.

I like Reaper miniatures for fantasy characters. They also have a few good monsters if you’re looking for stuff to GM with. It can get pretty expensive to do a whole adventure in Reaper monster minis. If you want an adventure with Reaper minis to be more economical, however, “thugs” and “henchmen” can be reused adventure after adventure.

GW minis are great (expensive, but great). The best part about them is that you can get a variety of minis in plastic. This means a few important things to me: They’re easy to modify, they usually come with customizable options, and it doesn’t matter if you drop them. If you drop a multi-part metal mini, 9/10 times it will explode. You drop plastic one, it bounces.

If you don’t want to have a GW miniature, Avatars of War Miniatures makes some great minis in resin. Resin has the same durability as plastic. It has higher detail, but a lower tolerance to heat. You also can’t use plastic glues or welds on it, and there’s a much higher chance of air bubbles. But I like this company. Even if Avatars of War have a small selection, they have customizable weapons for a lot of their minis, which is HUGE.

There are a lot of minis out there. The internet has allowed a lot of the best sculptors to set up shop for themselves, leading to some really cool independent companies. I try to scour the web for the coolest stuff and horde it until I can use it.

Let me know what you end up going with. . .
    dhlevine
    dhlevine
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Jarrol
    Race: Goliath (Half-Giant)
    Class: Ardent

Post by dhlevine 2010-05-18, 11:00

It also depends on why you want the minis. If you're into painting/customizing minis, that's cool and you should listen to James.

If you just want customizable playing pieces, there's a lot you can do. I make "pogs" for my D&D4E needs - I just use 1" wooden craft circles with art glued to them.
    Chris
    Chris
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Rūk
    Class: Warden

Post by Chris 2010-05-18, 11:07

Paizo does sell almost the entire line of WotC minis as singles and locally, Games & Stuff has a selection of the larger monsters, and bags of 4-6 of the same mini called "Encounter Packs" but their selection is pretty limited.
    Rocktopotomus
    Rocktopotomus
    Level 2 Poster

The Waste Character
    Name: Feyodr-Har
    Race: Changeling
    Class: Sorcerer

Post by Rocktopotomus 2010-05-19, 09:10

Thanks guys! those pathfinder minis look great, and I may have to get a box of the Empire Militia from warhammer for grunts/badies
    j-smuv
    j-smuv
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Ordesso Badatu
    Class: Fighter

Post by j-smuv 2010-05-19, 12:00

Empire militia. . . That's a good idea, as they would be great for that.

GW also has some great skeletons, ghouls and zombies that you can buy in boxes of 20 or so.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-03-28, 13:43