Heroes Guild Online

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting Gamers & Intellectual Hobbyists Throughout Maryland

5 posters

I've got the minis, now I want to learn the game!

Xer0
    Xer0
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character
    Name: Trabat
    Race: Half-Elf
    Class: Battlemind

I've got the minis, now I want to learn the game! Empty I've got the minis, now I want to learn the game!

Post by Xer0 2010-09-07, 09:20

My, what an lonely, empty forum we've got here... let's fix that.

As I said above, I've got a bunch of Warmachine miniatures just sitting around and gathering dust. I've even got three of the battleboxes (Cygnar, Menoth and Magnus the Traitor) assembled and painted. Now, I want to learn how to play.

Anybody on there know how to play the new edition of Warmachine? If not, anybody want to learn the game with me? If so, let's set something up and I'll see about getting a copy of the MkII Prime rules and we can give it a go.

James, I'm looking at you, buddy.
    j-smuv
    j-smuv
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Ordesso Badatu
    Race: Minotaur
    Class: Fighter

I've got the minis, now I want to learn the game! Empty Re: I've got the minis, now I want to learn the game!

Post by j-smuv 2010-09-11, 14:48

well. . . I'll be honest. . . I know jack about Warmachine. But I'm willing to learn! When would you like to try it out?
    Xer0
    Xer0
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character

I've got the minis, now I want to learn the game! Empty Re: I've got the minis, now I want to learn the game!

Post by Xer0 2010-09-11, 17:38

j-smuv wrote:well. . . I'll be honest. . . I know jack about Warmachine. But I'm willing to learn! When would you like to try it out?
    I've already got two battle boxes we can use, so let's talk to Randy about ordering MkII Prime and once he gets it in, we can start going over it then. Sound good? Or do we think GnS would have it already?
    j-smuv
    j-smuv
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Ordesso Badatu
    Race: Minotaur
    Class: Fighter

Post by j-smuv 2010-09-12, 20:01

Sounds good. . . I can't really invest in new models, but I can use proxies and learning the game mechanics would be fun Smile

As far as where to find it. I'm up for either option. Both are local and supportive shops. . .
    MkNalsheen
    MkNalsheen
    Level 1 Poster

Post by MkNalsheen 2010-09-22, 04:22

You've got a couple of options. There are quite a few supportive gamers at GnS tuesdays and sundays. I'm not far from you, being right in hickory, and I know there are quite a few others here, having pulled a lot of them in myself. Vassal is also an option, especially for those who want to try it out riskfree. Privateer offers their updated quick start rules for mk2 on their website, as a pdf download-
    http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/the-game right there, at the bottom. the two links. hopefully that helps. If you have any questions, I'm the same guy who left you a pm on the privateer forums.
    Xer0
    Xer0
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character

Post by Xer0 2010-09-22, 07:08

MkNalsheen wrote:You've got a couple of options. There are quite a few supportive gamers at GnS tuesdays and sundays. I'm not far from you, being right in hickory, and I know there are quite a few others here, having pulled a lot of them in myself. Vassal is also an option, especially for those who want to try it out riskfree. Privateer offers their updated quick start rules for mk2 on their website, as a pdf download-
    http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/the-game right there, at the bottom. the two links. hopefully that helps. If you have any questions, I'm the same guy who left you a pm on the privateer forums.
    Hey, you found us, great! What is Vassal, exactly? That's not a term I'm familiar with.
    wewantthefunk
    wewantthefunk
    Level 1 Poster

Post by wewantthefunk 2011-02-12, 16:07

Hey guys, I live in White Marsh and I play Warmachine (since Escalation - 2003), Hordes since it started, and 40k. I've been out of the scene for a little over a year, we just had twins last March, but now I've convinced the wife to let me have a day or two a month to get out of the house.

I haven't played the Mark II rules for WM/H, yet, but I have full Khador and Circle armies. For 40k I have full BA, DE, and Guard. I'm willing to meet up wherever around NE Baltimore.

I've been to GnS a lot before my wife got pregnant, but the 45 minute drive and toll fees both ways aren't looking good.

Anyway, let me know if you'd be up for a new recruit to your group.
    Xer0
    Xer0
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character

Post by Xer0 2011-02-12, 22:04

Welcome WeWantTheFunk (henceforth to be referred to as WWTF). There's a store in Parkville, Collector's Corner where I run D&D Encounters on Wednesday nights. I too feel the pain of making the trip down to GNS and it won't be one I'll make very often, much for the exact same reasons as you.

We're still trying to work things out for those of us north of the tunnels, but I'd definitely be up for meeting up some time in the near future.

-Larry
    Gryphon
    Gryphon
    Level 3 Poster

The Waste Character
    Name: Trinma
    Race: Elf
    Class: Ranger

Post by Gryphon 2011-02-13, 00:41

I am currently a very busy camper so my days would be a bit limited. But I would love to get together for a few sessions. Maybe that will finally motivate me to assemble and paint the starter set I bought. Let me know when and where you guys end up deciding on. With luck maybe I will be able to swing sessions.

Note to self- When you sign up for classes 3 nights of the week, you get hella busy. *slaps self*
    Xer0
    Xer0
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character

Post by Xer0 2011-02-13, 07:13

Gryphon wrote:I am currently a very busy camper so my days would be a bit limited. But I would love to get together for a few sessions. Maybe that will finally motivate me to assemble and paint the starter set I bought. Let me know when and where you guys end up deciding on. With luck maybe I will be able to swing sessions.

Note to self- When you sign up for classes 3 nights of the week, you get hella busy. *slaps self*

No worries, we're all pretty busy as well. We'll figure something out.
    wewantthefunk
    wewantthefunk
    Level 1 Poster

Post by wewantthefunk 2011-02-13, 10:36

Thanks for the welcome. I visited Collector's Corner yesterday afternoon to scope out the scene and I saw on the Warhammer board that a group meets on Thursdays @ 7. I also play D&D, and have been interested in the D&D Encounters. I can't make it this Wednesday because the wife is working that night, but I will be up on Thursday to check out the miniature gaming. I talked with someone working at the store and he said that WM/H is also present on Thursdays. I would love to help build a community for miniature gaming (both 40k & WM/H), and I have some experience since I was a Press Ganger for a while about 7 years ago when I lived in Utah.

I hope I get to meet some, or all, of you on Thursday.

Christian
    Xer0
    Xer0
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character

Post by Xer0 2011-02-13, 13:15

Christian, I'm not sure there's much going on at CC miniatures-wise other than Clix games at the moment. You might want to call the store and talk to Randy to see if anyone is in to do Warhammer, 40K or Warmachine. I'd love for there to be more of a community there and there's certainly an opening for it, but there's not much there right now.

You might want to come up to Critical Hit games in Abingdon for a bit more of a thriving miniature games community.

I'm also hoping to be able to open up my basement space for hobbying and gaming later on this year. But I'm up in Abingdon as well.
    wewantthefunk
    wewantthefunk
    Level 1 Poster

Post by wewantthefunk 2011-02-13, 17:26

Funny you mention Critical Hit Games, I just discovered their FB page after I posted my last reply. Seems there is a tournament this upcoming Saturday. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to that, my wife does volunteer work on Saturday mornings, and I'm not into tournaments all that much because of what nice people tend to become when they're in them. But I definitely want to check out the store. On a good day with light traffic (LOL) I can make it to Abingdon in 20 minutes, but it's more like 40 on average. So a jaunt up that way every once in a while is not bad.

What is the normal miniatures day @ Crit Hit? I hate to walk into a store ready to play and see every table jammed with 12 year olds playing Pokemon.

Whoever I talked to @ CC (bald guy with a long goatee) said that a few people show up on Thursdays for 40k, and it was written on the whiteboard designated for WH, so we'll see what happens this week.
    Xer0
    Xer0
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character

Post by Xer0 2011-02-14, 08:28

WWWTF, how do you get up to Abingdon? You might have better luck taking 7 or Rt. 1/Jerusalem Rd up to Abingdon. I think the Abingdon WM guys are trying to take over the store on Thursday nights. I won't be there because I game Wednesdays and Fridays as it is and I'd like to avoid the wife aggro. That's why I'd like to get more gaming done in my basement. As for other mini goings on, the owner is a 40/Fantasy guy, so I'd be willing to bet there's GW gaming going on all the time there.

The bald goateed guy is the owner, Randy. Good guy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-01, 21:41