Heroes Guild Online

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting Gamers & Intellectual Hobbyists Throughout Maryland

2 posters

Basic D&D (Owings Mills)

Adam Dray
    Adam Dray
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character
    Name: Redcap
    Race: Kenku
    Class: Sorcerer

Basic D&D (Owings Mills) Empty Basic D&D (Owings Mills)

Post by Adam Dray 2011-08-30, 22:48

Basic D&D (Owings Mills) Hinterlands-Splash

Hinterlands is a "sandbox" D&D campaign.
    The DM--that's me--has hex-mapped 3.7 million square miles of terrain to explore. 6500 miles of that is detailed down to a fine scale (2.5-mile-wide hexes). I'll create a rich background and make the world interesting. I'll set up wandering encounter tables for each area, populate the wilderness with ancient ruins, humanoid settlements, wondrous terrain features, and other magical elements, and you'll do the rest. Kura Keep will be your one safe base.

I won't drop a dungeon in front of you.
    You'll create brave adventurers and set off into the unexplored wilderness. You'll tell me where you go, and I'll tell you what you find. When you don't find anything "exciting," you'll still have to face the challenge of the wilderness: finding your way, eating, camping, and surviving. When you do stumble across an ancient site, you'll know you're the first adventurers to do so, ever, and it'll be all the more amazing.

I am not going to coddle you.
    I am not balancing encounters for your level or the number of players that show up that night. The encounters are what they are—predetermined by me when I create the world. I will be a fair referee and will give you all the warning signs your characters would get that they're about to stumble into something they can't handle. If you miss the clues, though… tough luck.

This is an Old School game.
    That means that player skill and player smarts count for a lot. No, you don't get to make an Intelligence roll to see if you can remember where the entrance to the dungeon was. You should have remembered. It also means you get to get creative with your character's actions, and I'll interpret them and make rulings. Want to make a ninja leap out of a tree onto the orc's back? Okay! Want to smoke out the kobolds with a brush fire? Great!

We're using Old School rules.
    At least at first, we're going to use the Basic D&D rules from 1980. They're actually still pretty awesome, and if you haven't every played them or if it's been a couple decades, you ought to give it a try. There are free clones of the rules available online, too--I'm using Labyrinth Lord, Core Rules, which you can download off my campaign web page.

We'll play every other Tuesday.
    Starting August 6, we'll meet every other week from 7:30–10:30 at my place in Owings Mills (three cats, no smoking). We can order pizza or wings and get our game on. I won't be mad if you can't make a game, but I also am not the person worrying about having a party strong enough to venture out into the wilds. Players have to coordinate that.

If you're interested in joining, post here or email AdamDray@gmail.com.
    stevethesteve
    stevethesteve
    Level 2 Poster

Basic D&D (Owings Mills) Empty Re: Basic D&D (Owings Mills)

Post by stevethesteve 2011-09-20, 18:49

Hey Adam, long time no see.

I'd be interested in joining this game, but the thing is I got a class on Thurs that ends right at 7, and with traffic its gonna take me more than 30 minutes to get up to OM. If you could push the start time just back a bit I could totally join you for this game, sound very cool.
    Adam Dray
    Adam Dray
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character
    Name: Redcap
    Race: Kenku
    Class: Sorcerer

Post by Adam Dray 2011-09-21, 22:18

I'm full-up right now, and I don't have the time to run a second set of games, but I'll let you know if that changes!
    stevethesteve
    stevethesteve
    Level 2 Poster

Post by stevethesteve 2011-09-22, 13:14

Awwww. Oh well. If someone drops out throw me a line. I'm always up for a game DMed by you man.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-17, 00:42