Heroes Guild Online

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting Gamers & Intellectual Hobbyists Throughout Maryland

2 posters

Chaos Daemon Codex. . . WTF

j-smuv
    j-smuv
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Ordesso Badatu
    Race: Minotaur
    Class: Fighter

Chaos Daemon Codex. . .  WTF Empty Chaos Daemon Codex. . . WTF

Post by j-smuv 2009-11-21, 16:25

I am the only chaos daemon player in my gaming group. Now I know that playing with a daemon army means playing with a sense of humility, as there are elements you can’t control due to the randomness of daemonic deployment. However, my biggest beef with the codex is completely unrelated to this, it’s unrelated to the fact that my units can’t assault when they deep strike in, it’s also unrelated to the fact that it’s harder to make a force that serves one chaos god than it should be. All of these I have heard complaints about since the codex came out, and although I see the logic of these points, I embrace the codex as it is. . . with one exception. . .

The daemonic gifts in my wargear section are simply weaker versions of Chaos Space Marine psychic powers. Daemons are FROM the warp, they ARE the warp. If anything, these powers should be stronger than the powers gifted to their human pawns. Daemons are undying innate sorcerers from a realm engulfed in constant war, brought to the worlds they infest through tears in reality. An eternity of experience, coupled with warp tears on the battlefield providing a clear channel for their power should equate to a more potent gift than a chaos space marine’s mere "psychic" power.

Every power is weaker except for “Wind/Breath of Chaos” and “Bolt of Change/Tzeentch”

- The Chaos Spawn formed in “Gift of Chaos” doesn’t spawn in close combat, as the CSM power allows. Additionally it also requires a hit roll that the CSM one doesn’t require.

- Pavane has less range than Lash, less movement, a to-hit roll, does not pin, and can only affect a unit once

- Doombolt is AP 3, Warpfire is AP 4 (note: daemonic gaze is AP 3, but is a Slaaneshi power)

- Aura of Decay is STR 2, Nurgles Rot is STR 3

- No Warptime

Now I understand that not having to take psychic tests is great, and that the gifts are not treated as psychic powers is also great. However, both of these are consistent with the fluff (and practical, if you consider having to take a psychic test for every Horror. . . every turn). But the "nerfing" of these powers stinks of buyers remorse over the overuse of Lash in the Chaos Space Marine Codex. And what's worse is that the CSM codex was already considered "watered down" and "vanilla" by many of its players. Are we really supposed to settle for a watered down version of psychic powers from a watered down codex. GW. . . WTF!?
    Chris
    Chris
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Rūk
    Race: Minotaur
    Class: Warden

Chaos Daemon Codex. . .  WTF Empty Re: Chaos Daemon Codex. . . WTF

Post by Chris 2009-11-21, 18:10

I should create a GW...WTF? forum.
    j-smuv
    j-smuv