Heroes Guild Online

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting Gamers & Intellectual Hobbyists Throughout Maryland

3 posters

Ideas Wanted: Writing a SciFi setting...

Chris
    Chris
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Rūk
    Race: Minotaur
    Class: Warden

Ideas Wanted: Writing a SciFi setting... Empty Ideas Wanted: Writing a SciFi setting...

Post by Chris 2009-11-26, 00:21

Hey all, I'm working on writing a SciFi campaign setting for a ruleset to be determined (probably Spycraft 2.0). I'm looking at a space opera type of thing, but Star Wars has worn thin for me.

What I'm looking for is any ideas that you guys might have for such a setting.

Feel free to go nuts, and thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chris on 2009-12-12, 20:51; edited 1 time in total
    Chris
    Chris
    Administrator

The Waste Character

Ideas Wanted: Writing a SciFi setting... Empty Re: Ideas Wanted: Writing a SciFi setting...

Post by Chris 2009-11-26, 00:23

Originally posted on Facebook by Michael P. Martin: My first thought was a Bladerunner type of game or maybe something along the lines of Dune.

Chris
    Chris
    Administrator

The Waste Character

Ideas Wanted: Writing a SciFi setting... Empty Re: Ideas Wanted: Writing a SciFi setting...

Originally posted on Facebook by Daniel Peterson: Hmm... you could do a Cold War in space, with two great powers locked into a stalemate of mutually assured destruction, due to the development of a new superweapon (perhaps gifted to both sides by a greater power, in order to end the war). You could have the individualist federation of words vs. the collectivist alien hive-mind.

Chris
    Chris
    Administrator

The Waste Character

Thanks for the input guys. I'm working something up and I'll post the early product soon.
    xenocyclus
    xenocyclus
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character
    Name:
    Race: Human
    Class:

Post by xenocyclus 2010-02-01, 23:48

I'm on my way to finishing Mass Effect, which has some interesting concepts in it.

1) the capability of space travel (jump-points, mass drives, etc.) was designed and built by an unknown, now-extinct race

2) multiple races in constant conflict against the backdrop of an heterogeneous environment. I.e. space is so vast and impossible to delineate in any meaningful boundary that empires and territories are porous, permeable, semi-mapped ideas more than true lines drawn in the sand. Almost like a galactic version of island hopping only no one is really isolated

3) There is an autonomous, corporate-like council that has no overt control over each race. However, the council does control access to and from jump points, (no FTL in this one) and so exerts a lot of influence over races and can apply pressure through commerce and travel

completely unrelated:

I like the distopian idea of an adrift, post-apocalypse, almost-to-extinction human race, vis a vis BSG.
    cstevenross
    cstevenross
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character
    Name: Swift Ravager
    Race: Halfling
    Class: Barbarian

Post by cstevenross 2010-02-02, 07:55

Yeah, definitely start with a Points of Light approach. Make discovering new stars an exciting part of the adventure. Ever play Legend of Zelda: Windwaker? It was cool as shit to find new islands. Just take that and put it into space. It will now be cool as shit to find new stars. Players find clues leading them to lost, ancient artifacts of a bygone alien civilization. Make a handout/prop/starchart. Players eat that up. With that, you've got stories of exploration, dicovery, unlocking ancient secrets, amassing great power (i.e. alient weapons). While exploring, the players can protect vulnerable colony worlds from the ravages of alien infestation ala Starship Troopers.

But, maybe that's just the frontier. The homeworlds are oppressed by your evil empire of choice. My recommendation would be to take a nod to the implied setting in the Half-Life series. Then you can run stories that have a "rebel vs. empire" theme to them. Everything done in Star Wars just opens up for you, giving you so many new options as to where you and the players can take the story. With an evil empire, it also gives you villains whose sole purpose in life is to break down the door (or wormhole) and show up to kickstart the session back into life with a quick combat. And you get high level villains for the players to hate and everntually defeat.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-06, 07:14